Thursday, January 11, 2007

Norm Barnes-Class '53

Hi Glenn
I lived in Borger from 1944 till 1953, well we actually lived at 353 Philrich Branch in Bunavista. Back then Borger was a busy place. The Ratliff family lived a few doors down. Their son Ed was a good friend of mine.
My folks divorced in 1945 and my mom dragged my two sisters and me off to California. San Francisco to be exact. I hated the place and finally in 1947 I asked my dad if I could come and live with him back in Borger. I couldn't wait to get back to my friends but sadly the old saying once you leave you can never go back. The kids I knew were like strangers.
Jimmy Mercer was the only one I could relate to we did everything together. Jimmy’s goal in life was to be a Marine like his dad.
Sadly Jimmy died in a swimming accident, when I went to Jimmy’s funeral I told him I would take his place and joined the Marines after graduation. Jimmy was with me in memory all through 4 years in the Corps. I worked hard and was promoted meritoriously twice once to Corporal and once to Sgt. I left the corps with the rank of S/Sgt. I didn't let Jim down.
Norm

My Wish for You in 2007: May peace break into your house and may thieves come to steal your debts. May the pockets of your jeans become a magnet for $100 bills. May love stick to your face like super glue and may laughter assault your lips! May your clothes smell of success and may happiness slap you across the face so that your tears be that of joy. May the problems you had in the past, forget your home address! In simple words ...........May 2007 be the best year of your life!!!

No comments: